Lavalla Catholic College is a school that recognises and supports students who are Elite Sports Performers within our school and community.
Striving for Balance & Recognition
At Lavalla Catholic College we aim to identify and enrich our Elite Sports Performers. We recognise that a high number of our secondary students are competing in their chosen sport at an Elite/State Level. We recognise that many of our students train a significant amount of hours per week, even before and after school as they strive for success. Melbourne based, interstate and overseas competitions frequently require extended absence from school and interruption to face-to-face contact with teachers therefore making appropriate learning adjustments paramount.
At Lavalla Catholic College we aim to:
- Identify and enrich students who are competing and participating in sports at an Elite/State Level.
- Assist elite student athletes as they seek to balance their educational demands with their sporting commitments by offering tutoring opportunities at lunchtime and after school.
- Allocate elite student athletes a staff mentor who will help them cope in times of high stress.
- Provide weekly Strength and Conditioning and Recovery sessions with trained providers
- Help students in the program with time management, prioritising, goal setting, communication with staff and stress management techniques.
- Create a network for elite sports performers so they can support and encourage each other to achieve their best
A crucial part of the program is to engage with guest speakers as they explain how they manage and balance their sporting commitments with school work, stress management, opportunities and how they achieved their success.
Victorian Institute of Sports Tour
Students will have the opportunity to visit the VIS. The tour will involve being instructed by many of the nation’s top coaches in areas such as Sport Psychology, Nutrition, Recovery Procedures, Strength and Conditioning and Athlete Career Education. We believe that there is a need for the students of Lavalla to participate in this activity to demonstrate the commitment and dedication required at this level. They will gain experience and knowledge that will undoubtedly improve their performance in their chosen sport.