Choosing subjects at the senior level is a great opportunity for you to make decisions that will help shape your future. No doubt the process is assisted if you have a clear understanding of your career path. To effectively select subjects at the senior year, you must identify your interests, skills and personality traits.
- Skills – things you are good at, like working with numbers, drawing, fixing things, organising things.
- Knowledge – what you already know, such as speaking a second language, or experience you may have gained in a part-time job.
- Interests – things you enjoy doing in and outside school, such as hobbies, sport or studying particular subjects.
- Personality traits – ask yourself, friends, teachers or parents to describe how they perceive you.
Match your list of interests, skills and knowledge and personality traits with a list of possible occupations.
To find out what qualification you need to work in your desired occupation, you will need to know answers to the following questions:
Will you need to do an apprenticeship? Study a degree, diploma or certificate qualification? Work experience?
How long is/are the course/s and who offers them?
Options & Choices
There are so many options for students, especially those entering years 11 & 12.
- VCE – Victorian Certificate of Education (Program)
- VCAL – Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (Program)
- VET – Vocational Education and Training in Schools, On-Campus (Specific subject that fits into VCE or VCAL programs)
- VET – Vocational Education and Training in Schools, Off-Campus (specific subject that fits into VCE or VCAL programs)
- SBAT – Student Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship. Remember it is a good to keep your options open by being broad in your choices. Take the time to talk to people who know you best and make choices that are right for you
2022 SUBJECT HANDBOOKS
Where to get the right advice?
If you have questions about the subject offerings and pathways at the Kildare Campus you may like to ask one of the following people. (Please click on staff names to email)
|Academic Leadership/Careers Staff|
|Deputy Principal of Learning & Teaching||Mr Brett Van Berkel|
|Senior Learning Program Co-Ordinator||Ms Jeananne Brown|
|Years 7 – 9 Learning Program Co-Ordinator||Ms Candice Ford|
|VCAL Learning Leader||Ms Alice Nelson|
|Inclusive Learning Leader||Mrs Tamsin McCormack|
|Careers & Tertiary Adviser||Mrs Carmen Weaver|
|VET Adviser||Mrs Jennifer Howard|
|Careers Education Officer Yr 10||Mrs Nicole Fenech|
|Careers Education Officer Yr 7-9||Mrs Jane Doherty|
|Religious Education||Ms Sue Pickett|
|Mathematics||Mr Rod Williams & Mr Daniel Scholes|
|English||Mrs Lisa Templeton|
|Science||Mrs Lisa Williams|
|Humanities||Mrs Kim Widrich|
|Languages (Italian)||Mrs Raffaella Cataldo|
|Design and Technology||Ms Emily Court|
|Art||Ms Lis Scott|
|Health and Physical Education||Miss Fiona Morrow|
|Music||Mr Shane Lebbe|
|Digital Technologies||Mr Chris Denny|